The 13th Hackers On Planet Earth (HOPE) conference will be held from July 31st to August 2nd, 2020 at St. John's University, Queens, New York City. H.O.P.E. stands for Hackers On Planet Earth, one of the most creative and diverse hacker events in the world. It's been happening since 1994.
Thousands of people from around the world come to HOPE. Please join us for three full days and nights of activities, including more of the provocative and enlightening speakers that the HOPE conferences are known for. In addition, we have access to a massive amount of space to put together all sorts of hacker projects and assorted fun stuff.
In the past we've had huge hackerspace villages, film festivals, Segway rides, lock picking villages, a wide variety of vendors, art installations, live video, vintage computers, robots, an amateur/ham radio station, electronics workshops, book signings, and the country's biggest supply of Club-Mate.
Now imagine all of that happening right in New York City! It seems impossible, but with the hard work and dedication of our huge volunteer staff, we're able to pull it off.
Unlike previous conferences we've held in Manhattan, this one will be significantly more spacious while still within New York City, making it easy to get to through mass transit as well as stress-free to get to by car, with no need to drive in Manhattan and free parking for the entire weekend. It's also much closer to JFK and LaGuardia Airports.
Here are some of the enhancements we're looking at for HOPE 2020:
- Speaking tracks with huge theatre-style presentation rooms.
- Indoor and outdoor space for exhibitions, workshops, vendors, displays, and more.
- 24 hour access to as much of the space as we need.
- More than 100,000 square feet of outdoor space to use for additional projects.
- Many additional rooms for new projects or additional speaker tracks.
- Buildings that are close together and spacious.
- Plenty of chill space for people to hang out and socialize.
- A network at least three times faster than our already record-breaking speeds.
- A healthy campus environment with people who appreciate who we are.
- Options to reserve dorm rooms or suites onsite for less than the cost of a hotel.
- Food options throughout the event onsite.
- Nearby hotel space or a one-stop train ride to midtown Manhattan.
We're literally only limited by our imaginations and how many volunteers come on board to help build the event. At the very least, we'll have a conference equivalent to previous HOPEs. At best, we'll have so much more. And, for many, HOPE will cost less due to all the new options (parking, accommodations, food) that we didn't have before.
Expanding the conference to this degree will require massive coordination and more involvement from more people. We'll need to improve in the areas where we fell short and make the magic that HOPE conferences are known for even better. This site will continue to provide frequent updates on all aspects of this. Please explore it to get answers to any questions you might have and, if you don't see something addressed here, please write to us at email@example.com. We will do our best to get back to you and/or address your concerns.
Pre-register for HOPE 2020!
Tickets are on sale at the 2600 store.
How to get there:
See our Travel page.
See our FAQ page for more answers.